THE BUILDING AT 28 WATER ST., Woods Hole, has been a landmark in Falmouth since 1887, serving as the Hotel Avery before becoming what is now the Woods Hole Inn. The historic Hotel Avery was once owned by Elmer Avery, a conductor on the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad.
Conveniently for Avery, the railroad line terminated next to his hotel (what is now the site of the Steamship Authority dock). In those days, when there were more horse-drawn vehicles than motorcars about, the Averys kept a pet parrot on their porch. The bird had been trained to say words like “Whoa!” and “Giddy-up!” to passersby, which caused much confusion at the busy street corner and amusement throughout the village.
*Published in Falmouth Magazine’s 2016 issue.